大種鴨嘴花，原屬印度，跟很多爵床科植物都來自熱帶。查閱「爵床科」，才知道她是雙子葉植物綱 (magnoliopsida) 中一個大科。紅樹植物的老鼠簕，老鼠簕屬亦是這科；還有板藍根 (strobilanthes cusia)。
malabar nut ( justicia adhatoda) is native to india and himalaya. when searching it on the internet, there are so many herbal sites and india sites returning the result. this shrub has a number of traditional medicinal uses. i would not have imagined that there is a wide big medicinal world behind this beautifully-structured plant: before blossoming, the buds built like jade pagoda.
- 花冠合瓣，具長或短的冠筒，喉部多少擴大，冠簷通常5裂，整齊或二唇形，上唇2裂，下唇3裂，裂片旋轉狀排列，或由於上唇退化而為單唇 (如老鼠簕屬)。
reference from i love idia site –
- malabar nut is a small evergreen, subherbacious bush. the corolla is large and white, with lower lip streaked purple. the fruit is a 4-seeded small capsule. the stomata in the plant are elongated and oval in shape.
- the plant has been used in india for over 200 years. it is commonly cultivated in the tropics in the country
- the shrub is the source of a drug well known in indigenous systems of medicine for its beneficial effects, particularly in bronchitis.
- its leaves, flowers, fruits and roots are extensively used for treating cold, cough, whooping cough, chronic bronchitis and asthma.