感謝市政局出版的 hong kong shrubs volume ii，終於找到這美麗黃金花植物的身份。她在香港的名字叫心葉黃花棯。那是個十月初尚有夏意的初午，沿大網仔路往北潭涌遊客中心馬路一旁都圍長著。
it was the hike at pak tam chung in early oct when i saw this shrub with lovely golden flowers. according to an urban council publication hong kong shrubs volume ii, this is heart-leaved sida. Its relative “narrow-leaved sida (sida rhombifolia l)” is quite a popular plant among taiwanese flower-lovers, as i read books and websites featuring it. indeed it is a very adorable flowering shrub. the chinese common name in taiwan is “golden noon-hour”, pointing out the fact of its attractive gold colour and close-relationship with the sunlight.
interestingly, in the western world the latin name sida cordifolia returns in search result from medical and health-concern websites. check out one of the examples here.
one more added worth-taking reference, the plant is included in the “difficult” seeds project of kew royal botanic gardens.
心葉黃花棯 heart-leaved sida (sida cordifolia) – kingdom: plantae 植物界 | (unranked) : angiosperms 被子植物 | (unranked) : eudicots 真雙子葉植物 | (unranked): rosids薔薇類植物 | order: malvales 錦葵目 | family: malvaceae 錦葵科 | genus: sida 黃花棯屬/金午時花屬 | species: s. cordifolia wiki
hong kong shrubs volume ii (NOTE: allow me to quote info from this book as it does not have an isbn)
– text and illustrations by dr. s. l. thrower (department of biology, the chinese university of hong kong)
– published by the urban council hong kong in 1984
- an erect, branching waste-land shrub, reaching to 1m in height; the branches coated with a mixture of star-shaped and simple hairs.
- leaves alternate, simple, broadly oval to heart-shaped… both surfaces with a close coast of small star-shaped hairs, the leaf veins arising five or six at the leaf base.
- flowering late summer. flowers axillary, single or in a small clusters, regular and bisexual. calyx bell-shaped, five-toothed, very hairy. corolla yellow, fading as it ages, of five petals joined at the base, about 1.5 cm across… syle cylindrical, at the top with as many branches as there are ovary cells.
- fruit a dry hariy capsule, each cell opening separately and surmounted by two long, conspicuous, barbed bristles.