bengal almond is a beautiful tree. it holds upright and its horizontal branches are in tiers like a well-structured pretty gown.
leaves shed in winter and they always deliver a colourful final act . the big, broad, ovoid leaves are dark green and leathery in their prime. in winter they turn yellow-brown then red or deep burgundy before before saying good-bye.
大葉欖仁 bengal almond (terminalia catappa l.) – kingdom: plantae 植物界 | (unranked): angiosperms | (unranked): eudicots | (unranked): rosids | order: myrtales 桃金娘目 | family: combretaceae/ leadwood 使君子科 | genus: terminalia 欖仁樹屬| species: t. catappa 欖仁樹 wiki
- 落葉喬木，見於熱帶亞洲。deciduous. common in tropical asia.
- 大葉欖仁是使君子科，拉丁名字 combretaceae in common english (俗名) is leadwood tree
- 花為穗狀花序長而纖細，腋生，雌雄異花植物 the trees are monoecious, with distinct male and female flowers on the same tree. both are inconspicuous with no petals, white to greenish,; they are produced on axillary or terminal spikes.
- 核果扁圓形，兩邊具梭，梭上具翅狀的狹邊像船隻的龍骨狀構造。內果皮堅硬而質輕，能浮於水面。種子矩圓形，一顆，含油質。the fruit is a drupe, corky and light that are dispersed by water. the seed within the fruit is edible when fully ripe, tasting almost like almond.
- keeping the leaves in an aquarium may lower the ph and heavy metal content of the water. it has been used in this way by fish breeders for many years.